Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dangit

Beautiful morning, couldn't have been much more than 60 degrees, light (if any) breeze - perfect for riding to work. I donned my helmet, pulled on my gloves, and even had my oh-so-sexy bike shorts on (you know you love 'em!). Went out to the garage to mount my trusty steed and... flat tire. Of course, that's to be expected with a 15+ year old bike - guess I'm just lucky it happened when it did and not when I was out riding.

I was considering holding off on a bicycle purchase, but I think I'll get one sooner rather than later. No, not just because of a flat tire, but if I'm going to be riding regularly I need something dependable and in good working order. This bike is untrustworthy at best.

So, anyone have any recommendations for a commuter bike? I found a Bianchi Brillante at the LBS for $600, comes with lights, fenders, rack, etc. Seems like a decent bike, but who knows? Tried (and liked) a Specialized Globe Sport at another shop - liked the disc brakes, but no fenders/lights/rack in the $670 pricetag. I definitely want a bike I'll be happy with for several years, so I don't want to rush into a purchase or decide solely based on price. I'd rather pay a little more for a better machine than skimp and wish I hadn't.

What do you ride? What do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment